- How market shifts, government regulation and emerging technology can impact your business
- The (Will This Float?) Event
- Amazon Planning to Open Distribution Centers in Chattanooga area
- Failure Is Not An Option – It’s Mandatory. D+J Interview Part 3
- SBA Disaster Relief offering business loans to companies impacted by TN/GA/AL tornadoes
Southland – billed as the Southern Culture and Technology conference – kicked off last night with a rousing intro by Pando Daily founder, Sarah Lacy, who made it clear she wants attendees to warmly welcome guests to the stage. A practice run to greet former model Christy Turlington failed so Sarah had the crowd start again.
When Christy came on stage she was warmly greeted by the audience and Sarah. The interview focused on her transition from model to founder of the non-profit Every Mother Counts – an organization dedicated to making pregnancy and childbirth safe for every mother.
While some did not see the relevance of the conversation Turlington and Lacy were having on stage, the interview may have set the stage for the entire conference which could be: there is value here, but you may need to expand your horizons a bit to find it.
Chattanooga is well represented at Southland with five startups being showcased. Ambition, Bellhops, Iron Gaming and Skuid all hail from the Scenic City. San Diego based Feetz, a 2014 GIGTANK participant, is also on the docket.
Over the next two days we’ll seek out some of the teams showcasing during the event. Be sure and follow @BusinessChatt on Twitter for updates throughout the day (and night).
Buffalo Clover rocking the stage at Southland.